Tag Archives: Radio

3D Printed Final Prototype – Radio Project

This is the 3D printed final prototype for a radio based project I worked on for my university course.  The main body is printed on a Zprinter 450 powder printer that bonds powder material with a liquid adhesive.  The speaker trim, radio face trim and button/knobs are all printed on a 3D Touch printer, which is an extrusion printer.

I had to sand down all of the surfaces and apply Pollyfilla and/or primer filler to achieve the desired surface finish.  Once ready, I applied the final layers of paint.

The making of the speaker trim and grill can be seen here.

Image

2013-03-07 10.20.06

The following is a photo presentation of the final prototyping methods I used.

Image

The first 3D printed body prototype was printed in two parts, with a wall thickness of 1mm.  After seeing the first prototype it became obvious that I would have to increase the wall thickness.  I also decided to print the body in one piece which would eradicate some of  the complexities associated with the assembly process.

ImageImageImageImage

Applying super-glue to the body to increase the strength of print.

Image ImageImageImage

Applying paint to the raised details.

Image

Each individual component before final assembly.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Advertisements
Tagged , , , , , ,

Speaker Trim & Grill Prototype

The following is the process behind making my speaker trim and grill.

Image

Before 3D printing I had to re-thread the material through the printer head, ensuring a secure bite.

ImageImageImageImage

After removing the base material I sanded down the faces, coated the trim in Polyfilla, rough sanded, coated in Pollyfilla again and then sanded to a smooth finish with a fine grade of wet and dry paper.

ImageImageImage

I applied two coats of primer and then two coats of silver spray paint.

ImageImageImage

I used the bottom of a soup pot and a pair of women’s elastic leggings to create the speaker grill.  I secured the leggings into place using a cable tie and removed the excess material.  I secured the grill with a little super-glue and a glue-gun.

ImageImageImageImage

Tagged , , , , , ,

Prototyping My Radio Design

A brief photo-snap of the blue foam prototyping process.  The scale of the blue foam model is 1:1. From the blue foam model I realised that when using the knobs, my fingers were coming into contact with the other knob and the chamfered radio face trim on the right hand side.  I needed to increase the height and width of my design by 5mm and decrease depth/outer lip by 5mm.  Subsequently the distance between the knobs/buttons would increase by 5mm, allowing for more room for the user to grip the knobs.

ImageImageImageImage

Tagged , , , , , ,

3D rendered radios

A selection of rendered images of radios I drew in Solidworks and then rendered using PhotoView 360.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Tagged , , , , , , , ,

Radio Sketches

A selection of sketches from a radio project I’ve been working on.  These sketches are taken from a series focusing on the aesthetics of radio design.  This was my first attempt at using render markers.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Tagged , , , , , , , , ,