I’ve been playing around with some ISO 200 B&W film in my Pincraft pinhole camera and here are a few photographs I’ve taken. Apart from the shot of the London skyline, these shots were taken inside after sunset.
So this is the final form of my Pincraft Photography pinhole camera. It’s certainly a case of form following function. I’ve kept the graphical side of things to a minimum in the attempt to encourage the user to add their own artwork, be it that of a child or an artist.
This flat packed, easy-to-assemble, zero waste, fully functioning and pretty-darn-good-quality-pinhole-camera shoots 12 shots on to black & white 120 film. The service concept behind the project is to provide a full service in which the film unit not only houses and exposes the film, but also provides the packaging solution to return the film for development.
The second prototype functioned much better after the minute changes made from Proto 1. The shots came out much better too as I gave a lot more exposure time and used 400 ISO film instead of 100. The 3D printed tripod mount really improved stability and allowed me to angle the camera. And I promise, once I get a half decent method of processing the negatives I will upload the photos for all to see. Stay tuned!
Yesterday I decided to take the bull by the horns and buy a home development kit for black and white film. My Pinhole Moments project has developed into a hobby as well as a final year university project.
After researching developing black and white film at home I spoke with a few professionals and hobbyists, as well as YouTubing the heck out of it. I thought, “yeah, I can do that” and went down to Silver Print in Elephant and Castle to look at the kits and chemicals. They were very helpful and really friendly, I can’t recommend them enough! I ended up buying the kit and chemicals and even developed my own 120 B&W film that very evening. (Results coming soon)
There is something beautiful and exciting about developing your own photos. I did feel a bit like Jesse Pinkman mixing up the chemicals but that’s all part of the fun.
I used temporary methods that were adequate for the prototyping stages.
Although the light chamber will have printed inner walls, I used a thick marker pen to black out the chamber.
I plan to use transparent red acetate sheet for the shot number window. Keen to test the camera and with plenty of post Christmas sweets lying around, I used some clear red wrapping from a Quality Street chocolate.