I’m currently developing an analogue pinhole camera that is made predominantly from corrugate card. I’ll be posting up snapshots of the development process, prototyping, photos and anything else that might be interesting for y’all to look at.
One part of my Rube Goldberg project. Testing the servo motor sweep distance and ball bearing ejection.
I laser cut each individual part from sheet acrylic.
The phonoautograph and the phonograph are two iconic devices that advanced the way in which we record sound. My project is based on Rube Goldberg machine, through which I plan to tell the story of the history of sound recording. In this video you can see two examples of knock-on features undergoing operational motor testing.
Here are some pictures of a “Rube Goldberg” inspired project I am working on at university.
My project is titled “The History of Sound Recording” and will have eight knock-on features that illustrate the main technological advances in sound recording over the years. Stay tuned for the finished project.
This is the 3D printed final prototype for a radio based project I worked on for my university course. The main body is printed on a Zprinter 450 powder printer that bonds powder material with a liquid adhesive. The speaker trim, radio face trim and button/knobs are all printed on a 3D Touch printer, which is an extrusion printer.
I had to sand down all of the surfaces and apply Pollyfilla and/or primer filler to achieve the desired surface finish. Once ready, I applied the final layers of paint.
The making of the speaker trim and grill can be seen here.
The following is a photo presentation of the final prototyping methods I used.
The first 3D printed body prototype was printed in two parts, with a wall thickness of 1mm. After seeing the first prototype it became obvious that I would have to increase the wall thickness. I also decided to print the body in one piece which would eradicate some of the complexities associated with the assembly process.
Applying super-glue to the body to increase the strength of print.
Applying paint to the raised details.
Each individual component before final assembly.
The following is the process behind making my speaker trim and grill.
Before 3D printing I had to re-thread the material through the printer head, ensuring a secure bite.
After removing the base material I sanded down the faces, coated the trim in Polyfilla, rough sanded, coated in Pollyfilla again and then sanded to a smooth finish with a fine grade of wet and dry paper.
I applied two coats of primer and then two coats of silver spray paint.
I used the bottom of a soup pot and a pair of women’s elastic leggings to create the speaker grill. I secured the leggings into place using a cable tie and removed the excess material. I secured the grill with a little super-glue and a glue-gun.
A brief photo-snap of the blue foam prototyping process. The scale of the blue foam model is 1:1. From the blue foam model I realised that when using the knobs, my fingers were coming into contact with the other knob and the chamfered radio face trim on the right hand side. I needed to increase the height and width of my design by 5mm and decrease depth/outer lip by 5mm. Subsequently the distance between the knobs/buttons would increase by 5mm, allowing for more room for the user to grip the knobs.